.05 cm of textual records (3 pages ; 89 x 61 cm or smaller)
History / Biographical
The Lafarge Canada Exshaw Plant Expansion and demolished of town
The expansion was announced in 1972 when residents were notified by letter that the
cement plant was expanding onto the land then occupied by the town of Exshaw. Plant
Manager Tom Pierce visited every family affected by the expansion and explained that
the plant had to expand or it would be closed.
The demolition began in July of 1973 and was completed in two phases. Forty seven homes
were affected by the expansion, ten of which were privately owned. The houses owned by the
company were offered to their tenants for one dollar, and the owners of privately owned
houses on company land were given a sum equalling half the appraised value of the house.
The home owners then moved the houses onto lease land not needed for the plant expansion
or onto private lots within the community. Other sites demolished as part of the expansion
were the elementary school, the general store, the Protestant church, the Portland Hotel, the
curling and skating rinks, and the entirety of Main Street, which was known as
Portland Avenue, except for the St. Catholic Church. The Portland Hotel was
constructed in 1906 and had been the social hub of the community. It was located at the top of
Portland Avenue and served as a community centre, restaurant and dance hall. At that time,
the existing plant was also demolished and replaced, and a new 600 foot kiln was installed.
Scope & Content
File consists of 1 blue print of Exshaw town-site layout, 1 photocopy of the townsite layout and 1 hand drawn plan of Exshaw townsite.